Housing Assistance in Massachusetts

Life may bring up unexpected challenges and various issues that people have to deal with. While many people struggle to survive these difficulties, some disadvantaged groups can face more challenges than other people seem to be. One of these groups is known as single mothers. They have to provide not only  their necessities in life but also their children’s needs. When things get harder, the solution is mostly related to financial issues, particularly housing problems. Having a safe and affordable house can make a single mother’s life easier. There are several federal and local organizations that can provide financial assistance to single mothers in Massachusetts. If you need help with your household, let’s explore these programs.

State Aided Public Housing

There are over 240 local housing organizations that aim to help local low-income people across the State of Massachusetts. State Aided Public Housing is funded by the Commonwealth in Massachusetts. It means that the State of Massachusetts provides these establishments financially. The Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) is in charge of these housing benefits in Massachusetts. They help low-income families who are looking for financial support. Single mothers can confer with DHCS and learn the nearest State Aided Public Housing agency in their area. As a single mother, if you are 60 or over, this state department may also assist your household with financial assistance. To learn more about this department and its benefits, please visit https://publichousingapplication.ocd.state.ma.us/.

Residential Assistance for Families in Transition (RAFT)

While the State of Massachusetts serves its residents with more than 240 local housing institutions, the federal government also provides several financial assistance programs for the low-income citizens of Massachusetts. These programs are supported by the U.S. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Residential Assistance for Families in Transition (RAFT) particularly helps those people who are about to be homeless or who are already homeless. If you are a single mother who is about to lose your home, you can apply to this program to get rent assistance. Besides this, if you are eligible to get rent assistance and want to move out, RAFT offers financial support for your moving expenses and deposit value. To find out more at, please follow the link https://applyhousinghelp.mass.gov/s/?language=en_US&LanguageCode=en_US.

Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program

This program is supported by the federal government. Roughly 72,000 residents in Massachusetts are making use of Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program. Single mothers who are facing financial problems regarding paying rent can apply to this program. If you are eligible for this program, Section 8 offers to pay you 60 percent or 70 percent of your rent each month. Your gross revenue should be 30 percent of the median household income in Massachusetts among 75 percent of all families that are provided by Section 8. However, this percentage can vary according to the number of people with whom you live with your family. To learn more information on these percentages in Massachusetts, please visit https://www.mass.gov/service-details/section-8-housing-choice-voucher-program-hcvp.

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is a well-known program that is funded by the federal government throughout the country. This program mainly helps with heating bills. Single mothers who are looking for financial help for their heating costs can apply to this program. LIHEAP evaluates each applicant according to their total household income. To learn whether or not you are eligible, you can find out more at https://www.mass.gov/service-details/learn-about-low-income-home-energy-assistance-program-liheap.

Massachusetts Rental Voucher Program (MRVP)

Massachusetts Rental Voucher Program provides rent assistance for low-income people. Single mothers who are having financial difficulties economically while paying their rent can apply to this program. The primary criteria of the MRVP is the size of your household and your total household revenue. Your household revenue must not be over 50 percent of the Massachusetts median revenue. You can learn more about the application procedure and qualification at https://www.mass.gov/service-details/massachusetts-rental-voucher-program-mrvp.

MassSAVE Program

The MassSAVE program is mainly funded by utility establishments to provide energy efficiency in Massachusetts. This program assists people who are in the struggle to pay their rents and landlords who wants energy saving in their houses/buildings. MassSave is a versatile program that helps with many issues in order to provide energy efficiency in your home. Single moms who seek information about this option and free energy-saving goods may apply to this program. If you are eligible, they can offer you financial support. To learn more, please visit https://www.masssave.com/about.

Massachusetts Alternative Housing Voucher Program

The Massachusetts Alternative Housing Voucher Program (AHVP) provides financial assistance for people who are having difficulties paying their rent and are below the age of 60. Single mothers who have a disability and under 60 years old can live in state-funded public housing with their families. AHVP pays 70 or 75 percent of the rent each month for the accepted ones. Yet this can change according to your family income and financial situation. Therefore, please find out more at https://www.mass.gov/service-details/alternative-housing-voucher-program-ahvp.

Massachusetts Housing Consumer Education Centers

Housing Consumer Education Centers (HCEC) in Massachusetts is a non-profit organization that helps individuals who are in financial need. Single mothers who call for help with paying their rent can apply to this program and may have cash support. They especially provide housing assistance. To find out more about HCEC, please follow this link https://www.masshousinginfo.org/.

My Mass Mortgage

My Mass Mortgage is a foundation that is funded by the State of Massachusetts This organization helps people who want to have their first home. Single mothers who aim to be a homeowner can apply to My Mass Mortgage. If you are eligible, they assist you to find a safe and low-priced house in Massachusetts. This foundation can be a local mentor for those who want to have their first home. Please visit https://www.mymassmortgage.org/ for more information.

Mass Housing

Mass Housing is a financial support program that is partially funded by the State of Massachusetts. Single mothers who wish to have their first home can apply to Mass Housing. They can offer you affordable mortgage plans for your first home. Apart from that, they can help with moving costs and other expenses during your removal. To apply for this organization, please visit https://www.masshousing.com/.

Massachusetts Emergency Assistance Shelter (EA)

Massachusetts Emergency Assistance Shelter (MEAS) is a housing program that prioritizes pregnant women and single mothers. Single mothers who are at the risk of becoming homeless can take into consideration this institution. They ask you to prove your housing difficulties to become qualified for their help. If you would like detailed information about MEAS, please follow the link https://www.masslegalhelp.org/income-benefits/emergency-assistance-shelter/apply.


EnergyBucks is a utility program that is funded by the various utility companies in Massachusetts and the Association for Community Action (MASSCAP). This program provides an allowance for cash regarding utility bills. Single mothers can save energy and gain cash assistance from the EnergyBucks. To find out about the eligibility requirements, please visit http://www.energybucks.com/.

Massachusetts Good Neighbor Energy Fund

Massachusetts Good Neighbor Energy Fund is supported by the Salvation Army in Massachusetts. This fund helps single mothers with their utility bills. Single moms who need financial support with their bills can apply to this organization. To find out more about it, please follow the link https://www.eversource.com/content/ema-c/residential/my-account/billing-payments/help-pay-my-bill/good-neighbor-energy-fund-operation-fuel-nhn.

Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation

Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation is a non-profit law office that aims to provide free legal guidance to low-income families. Single moms who call for legal assistance or face forced eviction can ask for legal guidance. They can provide free attorneys for your legal cases. To get legal support, please visit https://mlac.org/.

Worcester Catholic Charities

Worcester Catholic Charities provide emergency financial assistance to low income. For single mothers who require cash support for their household bills, rents, or home necessities, it might be a good way to apply to this charity organization. Organization’s primary goal is to prevent homelessness in Massachusetts. Please find out more at https://www.ccworc.org/.