Last Updated on January 4, 2024 by Meghan
Delaware offers a variety of assistance programs to support single mothers in managing various aspects of their lives, from financial assistance to healthcare and childcare. Here’s an overview of some key programs available:
- Delaware Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP): SNAP provides financial assistance to low-income families to help them afford food. Eligibility is based on gross income up to 200% of the poverty level, with different thresholds based on family size. Applications can be made through the Delaware ASSIST online portal.
- Delaware Medicaid: This program offers medical assistance to eligible low-income families, including children, parents, pregnant women, and certain low-income adults. Coverage includes a range of medical services. You can apply for Medicaid through Choose Health Delaware.
- Delaware Healthy Children Program (DHCP): DHCP targets uninsured children up to the age of 19 from families with income at or below 217% of the federal poverty level. It provides comprehensive health insurance, including prescription drugs, routine checkups, dental care, and more. Applications can also be made through Delaware ASSIST.
- Delaware Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP): CCAP offers subsidies for child care to income-eligible families who need help paying for childcare. Eligibility is based on gross monthly income, with a threshold of $6,215 per month for a family of three.
- Delaware Head Start: This program provides comprehensive child development services, focusing on helping preschoolers develop early reading and math skills. Eligibility is based on income, and families receiving TANF benefits are automatically eligible.
- Delaware Section 8 Housing: Section 8 offers housing subsidies to eligible low-income individuals to rent housing units from participating landlords. Applicants residing in Kent or Sussex County are given priority on the waiting list.
- Delaware Prescription Assistance Program (DPAP): DPAP assists with paying for prescription medications for seniors and people with disabilities who can’t afford medication costs. Applications can be made online or via phone.
- Child Nutrition Program: These programs provide healthy meals for children in schools, childcare centers, and after-school programs, including the National School Lunch Program, School Breakfast Program, and more.
- Delaware Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP): WAP installs energy-efficient improvements for low-income single mothers and families to reduce energy costs and create a safer household environment.
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP): LIHEAP helps low-income single mothers with utility bills, offering grants to cover heating expenses during the winter.
- General Assistance: This is a state-funded program providing cash assistance to low-income people who do not qualify for federally funded programs like TANF or Social Security benefits. It’s available to individuals who meet specific criteria, such as being too sick to work or taking care of a sick household member.
These programs are designed to provide necessary support to single mothers in Delaware, helping them to manage their daily challenges and work towards a stable and prosperous future for themselves and their children. For more information and to apply, you can visit the official websites of Delaware ASSIST, Choose Health Delaware, and the Delaware Department of Health and Social Services.
Directory of single mother grants in Delaware
Grants for Single Mothers in Delaware (A general list of benefits.)
Help with Bills for Single Mothers in Delaware (List of resources in Delaware which help you pay your utility bills.)
Rental Assistance for Single Mothers in Delaware (List of resources which help with paying rent in Delaware .)