Grants for Single Mothers in Kansas

Kansas is bounded by Nebraska to the north, Missouri to the east, Oklahoma to the south, and Colorado to the west. It is lying amid the westward-rising landscape of the Great Plains of the North American continent.

Kansas was once seen as the country’s agricultural heartland; some nine-tenths of the state’s land area is still used for agricultural purposes. Tourism, financial services, and government are also major sectors of employment.

As in the rest of the United States, in Kansas, there are several programs created to support single mothers and their kids. Here you will find some of them and how to apply:

Medical Assistance

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) Division of Health Care Finance (DHCF) offers medical assistance to help cover health care costs. They offer three major programs for individuals and families who qualify:

KanCare under the Medicaid Plan: This is the largest program. It covers people with limited income, which may include pregnant women, children, people with disabilities and senior citizens. They provide Medicaid through many special programs.
KanCare under the CHIP Plan: This is Kansas Children’s Health Insurance Program. It covers children up to age 19 who don’t qualify for Medicaid.
MediKan: The only program that is funded entirely by state funds. It covers people who are trying to get Social Security disability benefits. Medical assistance covers people who meet certain rules. Some rules apply to all medical assistance programs. Other rules apply just to specific programs. Most medical programs also have income or asset levels. These following rules apply to all programs.

Covered Groups: Only members of certain groups of people may get medical assistance. If people do not fall into one of these groups, they do not qualify. The groups are listed below:

  • Children up to age 19; including those who are in foster care or who get adoption support payments
  • Pregnant Women
  • Persons who are blind or disabled by Social Security rules
  • Persons age 65 or older
  • Persons receiving inpatient treatment for tuberculosis
  • Low-income families with children
  • People screened and diagnosed with breast or cervical cancer through the Early Detection Works program 2 KDHE Fact Sheet 8 01-2018

General Rules: These rules apply to all medical programs.

  1. Kansas Residency – You must live in Kansas.
  2. Citizenship and Immigrant Status – You must be a citizen or an immigrant with a certain status. Some immigrants must wait 5 years before they can get coverage. Verification of citizenship and identity is required for some individuals. See the Citizenship and Identity Requirements fact sheet for more information.
  3. Household – The people included in your medical assistance plan may be different for different medical assistance programs. On the application, list each person who is living in your home. The eligibility worker will decide who must be included in your household for your medical assistance plan.
  4. Other Health Insurance – If you have other health insurance, you must use it first. Then we will pay for medical bills.
  5. Coverage Date -Medical assistance usually starts with the month of application. Sometimes you can receive coverage for the three months before the month you apply.
  6. Reviews – Medical assistance is reviewed each year. Most programs require you to reapply when it is time for your review. If you move, be sure to tell us your new address, so you receive your review form or other letters about the review process. Your coverage could end if we don’t have a current address for you.

For more information about how to apply, please, visit this website.

Child Care Subsidy

The Child care Subsidy Program helps pay for your child care costs. It helps many types of families struggling financially. These include the following:

  • Families who receive TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families)
  • Low-income, working families
  • Some families in education or training activities – This provides help for keeping a job or getting a better job.
  • Teen parents completing high school or GED.

To qualify, families must do the following:

If the parent/guardian/caretaker needs child care, the program can provide financial assistance. People must apply and be able to act on their own behalf. The family and the child must live in Kansas. They must provide all income information, identity verification for all adults and proof of citizenship and birth date for all children whom assistance is requested.

The child must be under age 13. If a child age 13-18 cannot provide self-care, they may qualify for assistance in certain cases. For further information about this program, you can call to 1-888-369-4777, pick up an application at any Kansas Department of Children and Families or fill the printable version that you can download here.