Housing Assistance in Iowa

The State of Iowa has been known for its education opportunities and cold winters. The population of young residents is relatively high and many single mothers live in this state. Single moms looking for financial support for their rent, utility bills, or other household needs can benefit from various programs that are assisted by the local, state, and federal authorities.

The Iowa Community Action Association (ICAA)

The Iowa Community Action Association is a local community organization that has many offices across the state. ICAA has quite a few opportunities for low or moderate-income residents. These programs include temporary housing, loan support, home repairment, utility bills, and rent assistance. Single mothers who need assistance with these issues can apply for the programs of ICAA. To find out more please visit https://iowacommunityaction.org/ or call 515 244 0307.

 Iowa USDA Rural Development

This program provides a wide range of services for residents of Iowa. Some are Single Family Housing Direct Home, Rural Energy for American Program Renewable Improvement Guaranteed Loans and Grants in Iowa, Water and Waste Disposal Loan and Grant Program in Iowa, and last but not least Single Family Housing Repair Loans and Grants in Iowa. Eligibility requirements can differ according to the properties of the program. To learn more https://eligibility.sc.egov.usda.gov/eligibility/welcomeAction.do or reach out to Iowa Contact Info by dialing 515 284 4663.

Salvation Army Housing and Homeless Services

The Salvation Army was created and has been supported by the universal Christian Church. This organization is an international movement that aims to help everyone who is in financial need. Single moms facing an unforeseen financial problem can consider applying for their services. It has several offices across the State of Iowa. Their services are housing assistance, utility support, and cash assistance if you can fulfill eligibility requirements. Single mothers particularly those who require emergency housing assistance can settle in one of their utilities with their family temporarily. In addition to these benefits, the Salvation Army may present city-based programs for your special case. To get more information, please visit https://centralusa.salvationarmy.org/iowacity/ or call 319 337 37 25.

The Iowa Finance Authority (IFA)

The Iowa Finance Authority provides financial support for people troubling with economic hardship and individuals who lost their homes. Their services range from cash assistance for first homeowners to rental assistance for low or moderate-income families. If you are interested in any of their services, please visit https://www.iowafinance.com/ or call these numbers 515 452 0400 or 800 432 7230.

The Section 8 Iowa Housing Choice Voucher Program

The Section 8 Iowa Housing Choice Voucher Program was created and has been supported by the federal government. Its mission is to make sure that every resident can pay their rent on time. Single moms having difficulties in paying their rent can examine the eligibility requirements of this program. Their main criterion is that your total household income must be under 50 percent of the area median income in Iowa. When you are accepted into this program, you will approximately pay 30 or 40 percent of your rent. Check out their website https://www.dsm.city/departments/housing_services/section_8_housing_choice_voucher_program.php.

Low Income Public Housing Program in Iowa

This program is funded by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). It prioritizes single-family homes and hence, single mothers are most likely to get rent assistance and housing support. They have 81 public housing shelters for people in financial need. They rent these houses at very affordable rates.

Eligibility requirements

  • You must have family members living with you.
  • You must have enough income to afford low-cost housing.
  • You must be a resident of Iowa.
  • You must provide main documents that show social security numbers and photo identification, etc.
  • You must sign the consent form of the HUD.
  • You must not be related to any kind of criminal behavior for the last five years.

To apply to this program, please follow the link https://www.icgov.org/government/departments-and-divisions/neighborhood-and-development-services/neighborhood-services/housing-authority or call 319 356 5000.

Lifeline Telephone Assistance Program

This is a federally funded program that is intended to help low-income people with their phone bills. It provides a specific discount for landline services based on your total income. Single moms seeking a discount for their phone bills can apply for this program. Find out more at https://iub.iowa.gov/customer-assistance/federal-lifeline-affordable-connectivity-programs.

Iowa Legal Aid

This is a non-governmental local organization offering legal support for low-income residents. Single moms facing forced eviction or legal issues on any matter can consult this law office. If you need free legal assistance on any case or want to learn your legal rights, this can be the right place to call. Please call the hotline 1 800 532 15 03 or visit the website https://www.iowalegalaid.org/.

Iowa Low Income Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP) and Weatherization Program (WAP)

LIHEAP and WAP are led by the federal government and their main aim is to offer energy assistance for people in need. These programs evaluate your application based on your household size and income. LIHEAP in Iowa offers to pay your utility bills once a year, but WAP presents long-term financial assistance by improving energy efficiency in your home. WAP also promotes educational programs for applicants to learn more about energy efficiency. To learn more about these programs, please visit https://iub.iowa.gov/customer-assistance/how-do-i-apply-energy-assistance-liheap.